Saturday, March 5, 2011

Top 10 Movies with the Best Cinematography

All right to clarify the meaning of the title, I don't mean just the prettiest to look at cinematography from a movie. I also mean the way it's done, how the shot's planned out and what creativeness is put into it. So if you see any films on this list that makes you question why it should be known best for its cinematography, (if you've seen it) try to also think about how it's shot and how much work was put into it to get it done right, not just by how cool it looks. If you haven't seen the movie that you're questioning on this list, I recommend you see it. Now you'll still see explanations for each one on why I put it on the list but still think about what I said a few sentences ago. Also if you want to read the list from numbers 10 to 1, start at the bottom, I could list it the other way but I believe whatever's listed on top should stay on top. Anyways, enjoy the list!


1. Children of Men
Cinematographer: Emmanuel Lubezki

This film is pretty much flawless when it comes to creative shots. The way they film certain scenes (especially the long takes) is literally indescribable. I mean I'm amazed with the movie itself no doubt, but the cinematography is the main highlight of the whole film. That and directing are reasons why you should see this film if you're interested in those areas of filmmaking. I can see why Cuaron wanted most of Lubezki's shots handheld, because it matches the exact feeling on what's going on in that scene. Judging by the pic I put up above, I know for my number 1 choice it doesn't look like much but it shows how much is put into the film and not just by how cool the picture itself can look on film.


2. Dr. Zhivago
Cinematographer: Freddie Young

I must say, Freddie Young has done impressive work throughout his life and you think that I would believe Lawrence of Arabia to be his best work, but for me I disagree. THIS is his best work because he captures a whole lot more than just a desert and a beach shore from Lawrence of Arabia. He captures the whole surrounding of Russia (where the film is set obviously). This is the best shot I could find on google images, and I must say it's hard to think of a better one from the movie. Now even though it's mainly a love story where you think you would catch more zoom-in on the characters instead of tying to show cool shots to try and oust Terrence Malick's vision, but it works in this film because it shows what the main characters are surrounded by. It puts more depth and meaning in the characters with shots like this, of course you have to hear the dialogue in the movie first so you can get the meaning of the characters. Still after you do, you'll be more than amazed with this grade A work from Freddie Young.


3. Days of Heaven
Cinematographer: NĂ©stor Almendros

I actually did find my favorite shot of this movie on the internet which isn't the one you're seeing above. No my favorite shot is of a train going over a bridge, but it doesn't look like much from the image itself. It looks a whole lot better when you see it moving. Also thankfully there's still A LOT of this movie to see with incredible photography. I mean I wouldn't be surprised knowing it's a Terrence Malick film. If you haven't seen any of his films, please do so now cause ALL his films have great cinematography and yes I mean that literally. Among all the rest of his films like Badlands, The Thin Red Line, and The New World, this I believe is his best piece of work. So if you plan to start watching his films, start off with this one first unless you want to save the best for last.


4. Apocalypse Now
Cinematographer: Vittorio Storaro

This is my favorite shot from this movie you're looking at. Even if you haven't seen this movie, you'll understand when I say this defines nearly the whole movie itself and the quote that Frances Ford Coppola said himself when he screened this at the Cannes Film Fest in 1979: "My film is not about Vietnam, my film is Vietnam." You couldn't have said it any better. The cool thing is that, it's not just the cinematography that's the highlight of this movie, it's nearly every area of filmmaking that does its job right. I can see why critics like Roger Ebert and many others call this one of the most flawless films of all time. I will agree as well and call this Frances Ford Coppola's best film he ever made, and not just because of what he went through in making this film. So yes, even better than The Godfather Parts I and II, this is his best film with the 4th best cinematography I've ever seen.


5. Barry Lyndon
Cinematographer: John Alcott

The thing I love about Barry Lyndon is that Stanley Kubrick managed to bring all those paintings from the 16th century and bring them to life, and I mean that literally. The movie even acts like an old painting as well, just quiet, subtle and tells the story right from its image which is why you don't hear a lot of dialogue in this 3 hour film. I can see why the audience never went for this movie like the critics did, but thankfully I did and look where it ended up on this list. Also an interesting fact, this is the most underrated Stanley Kubrick among all his and yet this won the most Oscars among all his including Best Cinematography. Glad Alcott got his Oscar and of course deserved it nonetheless. 


6. Searching for Bobby Fischer
Cinematographer: Conrad L. Hall

Now this film may not seem much like at first to get the number 6 spot on my list, but that would be like judging a book by its cover. Read the book first, see the effort that was put into it. AKA: see this movie cause this film takes chess to a whole new level, particularly with its cinematography. It's the close-ups of the chessboard that really do it for the film. The camera angles in this film that Conrad L. Hall managed to capture is incredible, and I wouldn't be lying if I said this film makes any chessboard look like the grid in the TRON movies because it's THAT good.


7. The Assassination of Jesse James 
   by the Coward Robert Ford
Cinematographer: Roger Deakins

I can see why the Coen Brothers hire this guy Deakins for all their films, because this film shows how good the guy really is. Now FYI this film that did make this list is not a Coen Brothers film, but I wish it was cause then this film would have much more interesting dialogue and not just be silent throughout half the movie without any symbolism. Luckily Deakins cinematography makes up for why this movie is still good. I mean among all Westerns, this one captures the true vision to what a Western should look like, yes even more than True Grit (2010) which is ironically a Coen Brothers film which Deakins also did the cinematography for. I don't know how much you'd like this film as a whole, but if you're interested in it for the cinematography mainly, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this.


8. Once Upon a Time in America
Cinematographer: Tonino Delli Colli
ImageShack, share photos of once upon a time in america, once upon a time in america bridge, michael mann, once upon a time in america poster, share pictures of once upon a time in america, once upon a time in america bridge, michael mann, once upon a time in america poster, share video of once upon a time in america, once upon a time in america bridge, michael mann, once upon a time in america poster, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting.
The shots in this film capture the perfect image of all gangster movies. Not only does it look cool, it tells the story so well with the shots Sergio Leone uses. In my opinion, it's the best gangster movie I've ever seen. That's right, better than the Godfather films, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, you name it, nothing better than this. Now if you have yet to see this film, make sure you have 4 hours on your time because it's a LONG film but great build up for a great ending nonetheless. If you don't see this film, you'll be missing out on more than you think.


9. Punch-Drunk Love
Cinematographer: Robert Elswit

Director Paul Thomas Anderson does no wrong when trying to capture true love on screen, and cinematographer Robert Elswit does no wrong when using great depth of field to capture true love on screen. Now here's the interesting part, that's Adam Sandler in the photo kissing that woman. I'm not joking. He gives a great performance than what most people give him credit for, of course it's those same people haven't seen this movie yet. You could do so differently. Anyways, this is my favorite shot of the movie. It may look cool, but it comes off better when you've been watching the movie and understanding the characters so deeply in their situations. Overall, in my opinion this comes off as a satisfying experience and the shots in this film are like the icing on the cake. Just perfect. 


10. The Last Emperor
Cinematographer: Vittorio Storaro
http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/the-last-emperor.jpg
Everything you see in this film feels like a dream, and I mean that in a good way. It's mainly because of the lighting in this film, it just looks too perfect which is why it feels like I'm in a dream when I watch this film. I'm also amazed that Bernardo Bertolucci actually managed to get the rights to film inside every part of the Forbidden City (which I imagine wasn't cheap either). Even with the big budget this movie had, it got the recognition it deserved with a good box office and going home with 9 Oscars including Best Picture, Director and of course the most deserving in my opinion, Cinematography. As long as the film is, it never gets tiring if you're into the cinematography cause this film offers plenty of that no doubt.


List of other great cinematographers that I wish could've made the list:
  • Janusz Kaminski (Saving Private Ryan, Artificial Intelligence)
  • Wally Pfister (Inception, The Dark Knight)
  • John Toll (The Thin Red Line, Legends of the Fall)
  • Robert Richardson (Inglourious Basterds, The Aviator)
  • Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours)
  • Allen Daviau (Empire of the Sun, E.T: The Extra Terrestrial)
  • Caleb Deschanel (Being There, The Patriot) 
  • Vilmos Zsigmond (The Deer Hunter, Close Encounters of the Third Kind)
  • Dean Semler (Dances with Wolves, Apocalypto)

4 comments:

  1. this blog is great and has helped me for a uni project to do with cinematography thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list looks to be a very personal one. I have seen only 2 of the movies you praise; will get the others. Would be like gorging, though, to watch them back to back. Thanks for your critical insights. Very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. buy dvd this is us season 2

    ReplyDelete